Social Networks We Use

Categories

CT Tech Junkie Feed

Connecticut Consumers to Begin Receiving E-Book Settlement Refunds
Mar 25, 2014 4:09 pm
Connecticut residents will start receiving refund checks or credits this week for e-books purchased between April 1,...more »
Like New Jersey, Direct Retail Sales of Tesla Automobiles Not Allowed in Connecticut
Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm
The Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection is co-sponsoring a contest for the auto dealership...more »

Our Partners

˜

Malloy Calls On Prosecutors to Release Newtown Report; Releases More School Security Funds

by Hugh McQuaid | Nov 12, 2013 4:24pm
(5) Comments | Commenting has expired
Posted to: Newtown

Hugh McQuaid Photo

Gov. Dannel Malloy

With the first anniversary of the Sandy Hook massacre about a month away, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Tuesday that the official report on the incident should have been released already.

Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky has been working to compile a final report on the Dec. 14 murder of 20 children and six educators at an elementary school in Newtown.

The governor said prosecutors have concerns about personal information that might be contained in the report. They have been going “painstakingly” through the report to ensure they do not release identifying information like social security numbers, he said.

“I’m frustrated that the report has not yet been issued,” Malloy told reporters in Farmington, before stressing that state’s attorneys don’t work for him directly. The state’s attorney’s work for the division of criminal justice, an independent agency in the executive branch.

“So that people understand this, they don’t work for me. So I’ll put it a different way: if they did, this report would be out already,” he said.

Given the amount of time it has taken, Malloy suggested that the Chief State’s Attorney’s Office should have devoted more staff to putting the report together.

A spokesman for the Division of Criminal Justice and Sedensky declined to comment on the number of personnel working on the report.

Malloy said his chief of staff has been in contact with the prosecutors’ office, but said he has not been personally briefed about what will be included in the report.

“This has gone on longer than any of us would have liked and certainly is not representative of how I would have handled the timing of the report. It needs to get out. It needs to get out this week, next week, it needs to get out,” he said.

Malloy was at the Farmington Club Tuesday for the Connecticut School Construction Coalition’s “School Facility Security Products and Services Day.” He announced a second wave of state funding to help local school districts bolster their school security systems in response to the Newtown shooting.

Together with funds announced in September, the state has now directed $21 million in bond funds to reimburse local districts for their efforts to harden their existing school infrastructure. The money will help fund projects at 604 schools in 111 different school districts. Depending on the project, towns are being reimbursed between 20 and 80 percent of the total cost.

“We’re talking about infrastructure projects consisting of the installation of surveillance cameras, bullet proof glass, electric locks, buzzers and card entry systems, and panic alarms,” he said.

Lawmakers approved $15 million in state bonding for school security under legislation that included stricter gun control restrictions back in April. The Malloy administration found another $6 million in previously approved bonding to direct toward schools that applied for security grants.

Malloy said no amount of infrastructure hardening will be able to prevent every act of violence at schools, but the state was obligated to make them as safe as possible. He said he expects to make announcements devoting more money to similar projects in the future.

With the anniversary of the shooting “just around the corner,” Malloy said he expects a fair amount of discussion about what took place and how Connecticut responded to it.

“I can tell you I feel the state has responded admirably and that we are leading in the area of school security again,” he said.

Editor’s note: This story was updated to correct a mistake regarding where the state’s attorneys work. They work for the executive branch and not the judicial branch.

Tags: , , , , ,

Share this story with others.

Share | |

(5) Comments

posted by: NoNonsense2013 | November 12, 2013  6:47pm

How can Dannel Malloy have been governor for nearly three years already and not know that the Division of Criminal Justice IS in the Executive Branch? Now, having said that, I do not believe that he has authority to tell a prosecutor how to do his job.

posted by: Noteworthy | November 13, 2013  2:33am

Given the Malloy administration’s rampant use of private emails to conduct state business along with his conduct to suppress government information during the last dome dweller’s session earlier this year, Malloy’s comments lack credibility.

posted by: dano860 | November 13, 2013  9:39am

...and sincerity, Noteworthy.

posted by: DirtyJobsGUy | November 13, 2013  10:22am

To pretend this had no political influence on the release date is absurd.  Here is a prosecutor with no suspects to pursue or try,  no hidden evidence that could not be found, no one blocking the investigation yet at every turn they have opposed release of information to the press or public.  My guess is along with the tragic details we will find out some items that disagree with the official positions on gun control or mental health.  Transparency seems something our new progressive overlords feel is beneath them.  Remember 1984 was a warning not an instruction book!

posted by: Just Saying | November 13, 2013  2:17pm

The delay in releasing this report is an embarrassment. Unlimited overtime and political considerations aside the delay is ridiculous. The Cat in the Hat should be embarrassed that his department has zero credibility.